Sunday, July 5, 2009

Chopstick Etiquette

So I just saw someone at lunch stab their food with their chopsticks and pick it up that way to eat. Hmm stab is too violent a word, but they used both chopsticks to puncture and pick up their food. It was some sort of (green?) fried fish or shrimp I think. I didn't eat that. I got some chicken pasta thing. :) Well, I thought it was wrong to stab your food, but if I see someone do something that means I can do it too!

Also, regarding the switching the ends of your chopsticks around to get food out of a communal bowl topic, I went to an after work drinking/food party last week. At the first welcome party thing I went to with my coworkers, I waited to see if people flipped their chopsticks around before I got any food. I didn't see anyone flipping so I didn't bother. Much easier even if you're sharing germs slightly. So last week I waited again just to make sure, and no one flipped their chopsticks around except one of the Chinese interns who did some flipping and got both ends red with kimchi. Lovely. We went to a Chinese restaurant, English translated name being King of Gyoza. Collectively, probably hundreds of gyoza were consumed. Oh and kimchi, which is well Korean. Hehe. Also, the Japanese cook gyoza the same way as Americans, fried on a skillet (I assume), and actually in China they are boiled. Who would have thought? Also, some of the foods that Japanese think are Chinese aren't really! (Thanks to the knowledge of the two Chinese interns.) Sounds a lot like America! Good show!

No comments:

Post a Comment