Saturday, May 23, 2009

To go along...

Now the entry before with the pictures...here are some explanations...

First picture is Big Boy and I. We were hanging out in Kyoto, just chilling and relaxing. There are actually a lot of Big Boys here in Japan. However, the food is completely different. You won't find your chili spaghetti, Big Boy burgers, or vegetable soup there. It's mostly hamburger patty type meat with some sides that may or may not be vegetables. We didn't eat there, just looked at the menu. About 12 pages of hamburger meat. Not too appetizing to me, we ate next door at the Jolly Pasta! (And by we I mean Nisrene, Kurt, Tyler, and I, this was during Golden Week).

The picture of the paper cranes are of when Kurt and I went up a mountain in Kyoto to visit some Buddhist temples. You could make paper cranes at one of them, and so we did. Kurt is an excellent origami-ist so he showed me how to do it. :)

Last weekend (before and at the time of the insane Osaka prefecture swine flu growth) I went to Osaka (obviously) and visited Ikea!! I took a train from Nara to Osaka, and then waited outside the station for the free Ikea shuttle bus, which is blue and yellow and says Ikea on the side. On the inside there were ads on the walls, and there were two tv screens showing you how to shop at Ikea. It was really cool. The store was basically the same as the other two Ikeas I've been too, but the cafeteria food was different. They had your Japanese curry and salmon in addition to the Swedish meatballs. I actually got a salad from their salad bar, a chicken wrap, and some tomato focaccia bread. I also got melon soda, which is bright green and really sweet. I didn't really like it.

A couple weekends ago I made sukiyaki. I looked up what ingredients I needed online, then picked and chose what I was going to buy because I needed more than I thought I would, and then just kind of made it up as I went. I don't have any measuring instruments so I guessed. It turned out pretty good, but not as good as Osamu's back at Akira. I'll have to try again, and also make it at home when I can make it more precisely.

No comments:

Post a Comment